Position: Big Shift Global Coordinator
Reports to: Head of Sustainable Finance
Location: Remote, Flexible
Term: Until 20 June 2020, with possibility of extension based on funding and performance
Start Date: As soon as possible
The overarching goal of the Big Shift is that: By 2020 there will be a shift in investment globally out of fossil fuels and towards 100% sustainable, renewable energy and energy access.
This is a three-year campaign focusing on the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs). It aims to align development finance with the 1.5°C warming limit enshrined in the Paris Agreement. The campaign demands that MDBs:
(1) End their public finance for fossil fuels
(2) Scale up their finance for renewable energy
(3) Significantly increase finance to support clean energy access for the poor
The Big Shift Global has a focus on public finance as the key enabler of moving from a fossil fuel-based development model to a renewable energy based model. This has the potential of bringing energy access to the 1 billion people on the planet that are still living without access to modern energy, with an emphasis on gender equality, equity and ensuring rights are respected, in line with SDG7 (Affordable and Clean Energy).
Roles and responsibilities
- In consultation with the Big Shift Global Steering Group and campaign membership, to define campaign goals and theory of change, refine a strategy and targets, demarcate areas of intervention, and facilitate campaign members participation;
- Bring together the information and intelligence required for its decisions and provide campaign members with strategic guidance;
- Ensure dissemination of important information to campaign members, partners and media, who then serve as channels for further dissemination;
- Build capacity of the campaign members to run the campaign in their respective areas of strength.
- Take responsibility for managing the Steering Group and strategy meetings including regular participation in calls/meetings;
- Recruiting and “on-boarding” of new campaign members
- Ensure excellent consultative coordination between campaign members and stakeholders;
- Ensure regular reporting to larger group of campaign members
Policy and Advocacy
- Advise on World Bank’s and Multi-lateral Development bank policy-making and compliance processes as well as engaging with their leadership and utilise pressure points;
- Advise on engagement approach with key country governments where campaign mobilisation is specifically focused
- Alert the Steering Group on emerging opportunities to make interventions directly/indirectly for strategic leverage on campaign asks
- Support the Steering Group with research and analysis;
- Co-create events and engagement opportunities to put the research to advocacy
Public Mobilisation and Campaigning
- Support the Steering Group prioritise the public mobilisation and engagement approaches in the key countries;
- Advise on and lead the public & key influencers engagement activities of the campaign.
- Proven experience of building constructive working relationships with diverse stakeholders, and of working in networks or coalitions
- Degree or equivalent. Graduate qualification in relevant social science or development studies, or commensurate experience.
- Strong understanding of how policy change happens and of effective campaigning strategies
- Specific knowledge of the role of Multilateral Development Banks in climate and energy policy
- Good knowledge of NGO networks and global coalitions working on related issues
- Experience of working in advocacy, campaigning or communications in an NGO, public policy or similar environment
- Familiarity with the politics of international development and global political economy
- Experience in representing policy positions to various audiences
- Ability to communicate complex issues simply, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise work effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Personal computer and reliable internet access.
- Strong identification with CAN’s values including but not limited to transparency, honesty, inclusiveness, empathy, solidarity and respect.
- Well-versed in online and social media campaigning
- Ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish
Send a motivation letter and CV to email@example.com, with subject Big Shift Global Coordinator.
Applications will be accepted, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until a suitable applicant is found. We anticipate a large number of applications and thus encourage interested parties to apply as soon as possible.
Applications that do not contain both a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.