WELCOME! As the 21st Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC in Paris approaches, we at CAN wanted to bring together a collection of resources which can serve to shed some light on what goes on at COP. These resources are intended to be for those attending the COP as observers, as well helping those watching the process from afar understand its different elements.
Even if you’ve attended COP a few times, you may still find this guide useful as a refresher or to pick up some tips. You will find an array of information split into four separate presentations for easy reading. With each overview presentation you will find a list of recommended resources from our partners which go into more detail on the topic.
This guide forms part of CAN’s capacity building work for members, and can be used in conjunction with the capacity building sessions and trainings that will take place within and outside the COP venue in Paris during COP21, 30th November – 11 December.
Presentation 1: Introduction to the UNFCCC
A quick guide to understanding the basics of climate change negotiations. For more detail and to go deeper into certain topics, please use the links provided in the text and below. You can find the PDF here.
- UNFCCC Glossary
- The Kyoto Protocol and Finance Mechanisms in My Little COP Pocket Book (2012).
- Mitigation: A Beginner’s Guide to NAMAs (2015).
- Climate Governance: IISD (2015, Videos 1, 2, 3).
- Elements of the Global Climate Treaty: UKYCC (2015).
- Climate Finance, Technology, others: UKYCC (2015).
Putting COP21 in context
What is actually on the table in Paris? What do we know already and what are the possible things Paris could deliver? This presentation gives an overview of what will be negotiated. Find more information in the links below. You can find the PDF here.
- The Story So Far, UKYCC (2015)
- The Global Climate Treaty, UKYCC (2014)
- Cooperation and Contention, UKYCC (2014)
- "Climate Change: a question of justice?" FernUniversität in Hagen (2015)
- COP-21 Guide for Media, E3G (2015)
- The State of Play in the UNFCCC Negotiations, IISD (2015)
A practical guide (to what goes on during a COP)
For those with less experience at COPs this presentation will help you understand the variety of things happening at the conference, whether it’s at the negotiation venue or outside. You can find the PDF here.
- UN Security Guidelines, UNFCCC (2015)
- UN Media Recording Guidelines, UNFCCC (2015)
- Guidelines for the participation of representatives of NGOs at meetings of the bodies of the UNFCCC, UNFCCC, (2015)
- Utilising a day at COP effectively, YOUNGO, (2014)
What CAN does at COP
Make the most of your observer experience at COP by participating in the variety of activities CAN is hosting throughout the duration of the conference. This overview displays the various joint activities CAN members can take part in, but also presents ones where all observers can participate, like our capacity building workshops and “Fossil of the Day” ceremonies. You can find the PDF here.
For more information about this guide please email: email@example.com