CAN is a network of more than 1100 members from more than 120 countries, working together to fight climate change. CAN operates on national, regional, and international level, and its national/regional work is organized through its nodes. CAN has more than 20 nodes around the world with different stages of development and levels of capacity.
CAN is seeking a Regional Campaigns Communications Officer for Africa to support CAN nodes and members in further strengthening and aligning regional communications, making a push for ambitious national long term strategies. The Regional Campaigns Communications Officer will work closely with East African, Southern African, West and Central African nodes, members and partners in preparing and delivering the below responsibilities, and to identify priorities, key moments, and approaches.
- Regional communications and media work:
- Facilitate strategic communications discussions at regional level;
- Adapt, translate and regionalize communication content reflecting CAN priorities to make them relevant for regional/national media;
- Identify stories, events and moments at regional level, coordinate amplification at strategic moments;
- Identify geographical / thematic gaps in current climate communications in the region and seek solutions to address those gaps;
- Develop and maintain close relations with key media contacts in the region and develop an updated list of key media contacts in the region, which can be used by members;
- Develop and implement a national/regional op-ed strategy based on discussions with relevant nodes, CAN Secretariat, CAN members, partners and experience of national media landscape. As part of this, identify and connect with spokespeople that will capture target audiences in region (work with CAN Secretariat and partners to secure international authors if necessary);
- Support CAN nodes / members to develop media tactics/tools when necessary (press releases op-eds, stories) and help coordinate for greatest impact within the region;
- Assist members in developing more effective communication tools (social media posts, distribution material, etc.);
- Develop general communication tools (template press releases, social media materials etc.) if needed.
- Regional campaigns work:
- Support strategic campaigning in the region which contributes to the overall vision of CAN and strategic priorities;
- Support the development and implementation of a campaign training module;
- Support CAN nodes / members with their campaign media strategy when requested.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent academic/vocational experience in journalism, media or communications;
- Strong experience of public communications on political or scientific issues - climate communications experience is a strong asset;
- Strong working experience with traditional media;
- Strong understanding of your regional media landscape;
- Existing media relations and ability to build and maintain strong relations with strategic media contacts;
- Strong experience developing and delivering communications strategy;
- Experience in developing and implementing a campaign strategy;
- Experience using social media platforms for campaign communications;
- Knowledge and experience of working in the NGO sector and in a network structure is an asset;
- Excellent writing, editing and general communication skills;
- Excellent facilitation skills;
- Fluency in English, French is a strong asset, strong skills in other relevant language(s) is an asset;
- Ability to work remotely to tight deadlines and under pressure a necessity
Coordination and Reporting Requirements
These will include, but will not be limited to:
- Co-developing a workplan and agreeing deliverables reflecting and supporting key campaign moments, priorities and messages;
- Sending frequent email updates to all CAN Secretariat, nodes and members as Relevant;
- Regular Skype calls with the CAN Secretariat, nodes and members as relevant;
- Reporting as necessary to detail key outputs and impact made, lessons learnt and recommendations for the future;
- Availability for travelling at short notice.
Please provide a one pager of bullet points for an effective op-ed strategy for Sub Saharan Africa that pursues the objective of mainstreaming the idea of 100% Renewable Energy, including the necessary steps and a rough timeline.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject: “Regional Campaigns Communications Officer - Africa." Please submit a cover letter explaining your motivation and qualification, your CV and the above exercise as one PDF file. Kindly note that only applications following all of these instructions will be considered. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted. CAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.