The Mexican Environmental Law Center is a nonpartisan civic organization that promotes since 1993 the right to a healthy environment and environmental protection. Our work, together with that of many other actors, contributes to the effective implementation of legislation, improvement of public policies, strengthening of legality and the rule of law. All this in order to achieve better social welfare in harmony with nature.
Our principles are justice, human dignity, sustainable development, honesty and professional excellence.
- Strengthen the Mexican legal system guaranteeing better environmental and sustainable development.
- Apply and document strategic litigation as a mechanism to improve the quality of life of people.
- Promote the inclusion of the right to a healthy environment on the political agenda of human rights.
- Develop research to human rights reports to strengthen the position of the right to a healthy environment.
- Develop and implement remedies to protect priority sites in the Gulf of California, the Mesoamerican Reef System and priority forest sites, and coastal wetlands.
- Defend the environment permits, licenses, legal concessions affecting priority site Gulf of California
- Promote informed and responsible social participation in environmental matters.
- Analyze opportunities for improving the enforcement mechanisms of environmental law through citizen complaints and public consultation.