Position title: Junior Policy Coordinator
Reports to: Head of Policy Advocacy
Date: May 2019 – June 2020 (with the possibility for extension)
Climate Action Network (CAN) is the world's largest civil society organization, with more than 1300 members in over 120 countries, working together to promote government action to address the climate crisis.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
Our work is challenging and exciting and we love what we do. To join our team you need to be passionate, results-oriented and have a positive attitude.
The CAN Policy team coordinates CAN members at the UNFCCC and other international fora, such as the SDG process. This coordination work includes the coordination of CAN policy positions and submission documents, monitoring and tracking the state of play in the negotiations, drafting statements for members, scheduling daily CAN meetings amongst others. In between sessions, CAN policy coordinates conference calls on the various thematic issues relevant to climate change and the UNFCCC, maintains an informational website, and helps develop and update CAN positions and submissions.
CAN is seeking a Junior Policy Coordinator to assist in the policy activities for the Network. The Junior Policy Coordinator will work within the policy department of the Climate Action Network Secretariat and will report to the Head of Policy & Advocacy.
- Support coordination of thematic CAN policy working groups
- Support coordination of member activities during and between various negotiating sessions
- Support the coordination of policy submissions and other relevant publications
- Assist with the preparation for UNFCCC sessions
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, such as the UNFCCC Secretariat staff and members of government delegation, when required
- Manage and update the Policy section of the CAN website during and in between UNFCCC sessions.
- Assist the CAN Policy Team to deliver on various objectives of the department
- Assist with logistics for both CAN Secretariat and members for UNFCCC sessions and other events.
- During the UNFCCC session assist with the drafting, delivering and monitoring process of interventions and statements, which includes liaising with CAN members and the UNFCCC Secretariat.
- During the UNFCCC session assist with CAN Daily meetings, which includes securing the meeting room with the UNFCCC Secretariat, room set-up prior to meetings, and other various tasks needed by the CAN Secretariat
- Support the coordination of the ECO newsletter printing and distribution, including all tasks related to this and liaising with the ECO editor.
- Support capacity building sessions and side events for members including ensuring the logistics for these
- Take accurate and detailed notes at meetings.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in climate policy development
- Experience and basic to intermediate knowledge of the UNFCCC process
- Previous work on adaptation and climate change impacts are an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to travel extensively
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work unconventional working hours due to the international nature of the job
- Fluency in English is compulsory – previous experience in copy editing is desirable, additional UN language skills are an asset
- Ability to be flexible and respond to changing working demands where there may be last minute requests to change meeting arrangements, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and Google documents platform is a must; proficiency with web tools, eg. html programming are an asset
- Self-driven, organized and ability to work remotely
- Preferably from a developing country
- Knowledge of working with CAN and working with diverse cultural backgrounds is an added advantage
- A fun and positive attitude are key.
Send a motivation letter and CV to email@example.com, with subject Junior Policy Coordinator.
Applications will be accepted, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until a suitable applicant is found. We anticipate a large number of applications and thus encourage interested parties to apply as soon as possible.
Applications that do not contain both a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer.