Title: Node Development and Capacity Building Program Coordinator
The Climate Action Network – International (CAN) is currently seeking a Coordinator for its Node Development and Capacity Building Program. Over the past few years CAN has worked extensively with civil society organizations (CSOs) to ensure more effective participation, collaboration, and input from colleagues around the world in CAN and the global climate debate. During this time, the Program included organizing capacity building workshops, facilitating participation of leadership developement fellows in negotiating sessions, general support to CAN members, strengthening of the CAN Nodes, and administrative tasks associated with these activities.
With input from the CAN-International Director, the Node Development and Capacity Building Program Coordinator will take the overall responsibility for planning, coordinating, managing and monitoring the program, and provide general support to the National and Regional Nodes of CAN.
The Coordinator will report directly to the CAN-International Director. The Coordinator may also receive strategic support and advice from the CAN-International Board of Directors. Staff location is flexible and would ideally be in the Global South.
Specifically, the Coordinator will:
· Develop program plans and activities in collaboration with nodes of CAN and CAN-International Executive Director, with additional support from the CAN-I Board of Directors;
· Work with existing CAN Nodes to strengthen and enhance node governance, member management, collaboration and capacity building within regions;
· Support nodes to align national/regional strategy with the Global Strategy and help prepare their plan accordingly.
· Plan workshops, trainings, and regional conferences in collaboration with regional and national nodes to meet program objectives;
· Produce materials and other resources to enhance the available resources for capacity building efforts for new members to CAN;
· Plan and coordinate process for selection, logistics and participation by Leadership Development Fellows in the UNFCCC negotiations;
· Reach out to and collaborate with other similar NGO capacity building efforts and work closely with networks outside CAN to strengthen nodes capacity;
· Support fundraising efforts by the CAN-International Director as they relate to the Program;
· Maintain a general knowledge of recent and relevant information on climate change policy and debate.
· Actively manage and report on program resources according to agreed budget; and
· Work with the CAN Secretariat in general preparations for the network activities, especially the international climate negotiations.
· University degree (social sciences, environment, NGO management, development), preferably with an international orientation;
· At least 5 years experience working in a relevant field, preferably including in NGOs working on climate issues;
· Experience working in developing countries, with a keen understanding of the challenges in communication, resource restraints, and other unique circumstances found in the Global South;
· Strong logistical coordination and financial management experience and skills, including experience of implementing and reporting on donor funded projects;
· Experience in programme management, programme development and fundraising;
· Experience working in a network or collaboration of NGOs in developing and developed countries;
· Previous exposure to and understanding of the issues surrounding equity, development, and climate change;
· Excellent presentation, communication and facilitation skills;
· Cultural sensitivity and ability to respect and work well with people from different backgrounds and disciplines;
· Ability and experience working in a remote office;
· Organizational skills and willingness to work under time restraints and pressure;
· English language required, additional UN language skills preferred;
· Ability to travel extensively.
Salary and duration:
Salary will depend on experience and location. Ideal start date would be end of February 2013. Funding dependent, this position is planned as a fixed long-term element of the CAN-International Secretariat.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with subject: “Capacity Building Program Coordinator” by 20 February 2013. Phone interviews will be arranged for the shotrt listed candidates.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted. CAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.